Saturday, November 21, 2009

New Moon Review

Over the past year, I have heard about the Twilight books, and the movies. To be completely honest, a book or movie about vampires never really interested me. I have very specific interests in books and movies, and even more so, very specific genres that I don't like. I hate sci-fi, scary, or unreal genres. However, I thought about maybe reading the books, just because EVERYONE was talking about them, and I wanted to know what the big deal was about.

I never did get around to reading them, which is why when I was asked if I wanted to see the movie New Moon, I was slightly hesitant. I decided to go though, despite my presumptions that I wouldn't like the movie. I decided to go because of the company. I REALLY enjoy hanging out with the ladies, and even if it is to watch something I will not like, I wanted to go just to be in such wonderful people's presence. ...And the fact that Taylor Lautner's hot body would be posted 40 foot screen, didn't hurt matters any either. ;-)

Before the movie, us girls went to get mani-pedi's. I admitted to my Mrs. Robinson crush on Taylor Lautner and how that was a main motivation to see the movie.

When we got to the theatre, we had to wait in line, even though we already had tickets. Everyone was excited, you could feel the movie cult excitement, and it was contagious.

When I finally got to my seat, the theatre was packed. You could feel the excitement. I decided that feeling the excitement and hanging out with the girls would make this worth while, even if I ended up not liking the movie. I also must note that I believe there were less than 10 guys in the whole theatre! LOL.

After seeing the movie, I HIGHLY recommend it. I recommend it, not only for those TwiHard fans, but for everyone. This movie has everything you need for the perfect movie.

For people like me, who are not into vampires and werewolves, this is a Love Story first and foremost. The fact that the people are Vampires and Werewolves is just a side item to the story. The real story is the love triangle between Edward, Bella, and Jacob.

Another thing I must note is that this story is impecably written! The story takes you on the roller coaster that any good story does. You feel the characters. You feel their saddness, happiness, love, and even more so...their LUST.

In the movie, Bella is torn between the undying love she has for Edward, and her undying friendship love for Jacob. Both Edward and Jacob are madly in love with Bella. Edward must leave Bella and never see her again to protect her for from being killed. As long as his arch nemesis knows his depth of love for Bella, Bella's life is in danger. After a complete heart break, Bella spends time with Jacob in order to heal. Jacob lives near Bella and has apparently been in love with her for years. His love only grows more intense as he spends time with her. While Bella loves Jacob too, she loves Edward even more, and lives and breaths to hold onto Edward's memory.

Throughout the movie, you feel Jacob's desire, and anyone that is Team Jacob gets aggravated at the tease that Bella is. I don't want to reveal who gets the girl in the end because the polarization of the two teams is part of the fun of the movie.

One thing I was extremely surprised about, is the amount of humor in this movie, both written into the script, and the humor experienced by watching and reflecting on the audience. There is a point in the movie where the character Jacob (Taylor Lautner) first takes off his shirt. At the very second that he reveals his abs, the WHOLE theatre gasps in excitement and admiration. (Including myself...hehehe) At this point, my group of girls dies laughing at the response of the audience (including me, at myself!). LOL.

I cannot tell you how great of a movie this is. You do not have to read the books or see the previous movie to see New Moon, but just enjoy it for the story that it is within itself. With that said, I have to admit that I do now want to read the books, and see the other movie.

Part of the appeal of this story is the love and desire that these characters have for each other. I think this resonates in girls because it is the love and desire that we all want to feel. I highly recommend everyone to see New Moon. The guys will love it for the action and the girls will love it for the love story.

No comments: