Monday, May 25, 2009

So proud of my little girl!


After finding out in January that a fellow graduate of mine's daughter was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, I wanted to help in some way. I also thought it was a good way to teach Kennedy empathy.

I started an on-going conversation with her about how sometimes people get sick. I introduced her to this little girl through pictures, and tried to explain her story as best as I could in 3 year old terms. I explained that her and the little girl were the same age, and how they had things in common. For instance, they both liked Dora and love doggies!

I wanted her to connect with the little girl, and feel. We then talked about how we could help. I remembered how another fellow graduate's daughter had donated her hair. I asked Kennedy if she would be willing to do that. I explained to her how her hair could help make a wig that would make someone sick very happy. She was very excited to help.

I looked online about how to donate, and read the requirements for length. We measured her hair, and it wasn't long enough yet. Every month we'd measure her hair. Finally, this weekend we measured, and it was long enough!

All week we had been trying to explain to her Memorial Day, and teaching her how other's have been selfless and given a lot to their country. I showed her pictures of her Mommy & Daddy in uniform. Even the one where I'm 8 months pregnant with her! (Which noone else will EVER see!)

Since her hair was finally long enough, I decided that a great way to celebrate Memorial Day would be for her to have her first lesson in giving back. I started hyping it up, asking her if she still wanted to donate her hair. I told her over and over again how proud I was of her, and how much this would mean to someone else who needed her hair very much. And as she sat in the salon chair, getting ready to, and even during having her hair cut, I could see the pride on her face. And I've never been more proud myself!


Hugs,
Theresa

No comments: