Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fruit Cobbler Dump Cake

Since I've only been working Monday's lately, I have been very interested in cooking. I think mostly because it takes me away from the other tasks that I really need to do, but don't enjoy (i.e. mowing the lawn, cleaning, laundry, patching up walls, building new front steps, and did I mention laundry?!).

I had dump cake for the first time in my life a little under a year ago. At first bite, I thought, "O.M.G. this is GOOD!" I asked how it was made and they said, dump a can of fruit, spring a box of cake mix, and pour a melted stick of butter over it and bake. Easy enough. Except, the stick of butter doesn't go very well with my diet. So, I went to the internet and looked at a whole bunch of dump cake and low fat/calorie cake recipes. I decided to combine a few of the items and come up with a low cal/low fat dump cake. It is actually more like a cobbler in texture, so don't be scared that it's not done. I can't rave enough about how well this turned out. Soooo delish!



Ingredients:

1 Box of Cake Mixture (I used Betty Crocker Yellow Cake)
2 15 oz cans of fruit (I used one peach and one fruit cocktail, but you can use
whatever you prefer or substitute with one can 30 oz can of fruit pie
filling)
1 12 oz can of Diet Soda (I used Diet Red Code Mt. Dew)

Directions:

Spray just the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan with fat free non stick spray. Dump cans of fruit in pan, juice and all. Sprinkle the box of cake mix over the fruit. Then pour can of soda over the cake mix. Do NOT mix, that's why it's called DUMP cake! :-) Finally, cover and bake at 350F for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Makes 12 servings. 195 calories per serving.

No comments: